The Borough of Bexley is running a series of one off free workshops to inspire you to reuse items you have at home. Places are strictly limited for these workshops so book early!
Textiles upcycling workshops
Have an item of clothes you no longer like? Want to learn some simple ways to jazz up your old clothes?
The workshops will give you information on the textile industry and ideas about how to make your clothes last longer. The main part of the workshop will be a practical session led by a tutor from The Learning Centre, Bexley. Bring along a piece of clothing you were considering throwing away or has been hidden in the back of your wardrobe and learn some simple ways of adapting your clothes into something you want to keep!
- Tuesday 3 February 10am – 1pm at Sidcup Library, 2A Hadlow Road, Sidcup DA14 4AQ – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Thursday 26 February 10am – 1pm at Central Library, Townley Road, Bexleyheath, DA6 7HJ – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Monday 2 March 10am – 1pm at Welling library, Bellegrove Road, Welling DA16 3PA – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Tuesday 10 March 6pm – 9pm at Beth’s Grammar School, Hartford Road, Bexley DA5 1NE – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
Sharing skills textiles session
The Borough is also running a series of less formal ‘drop-in’ textile sessions in partnership with Sense, where people can share skills and carry out simple sewing techniques for accessorising or adapting an item of clothing/or textiles. These sessions are loosely themed and each session will show you a different way you can either repair an item of clothing or reuse a piece of textiles you have.
These workshops take place on the last Monday of the month from 10am – 12noon at Sense Trading, Unit 4, Bourne Industrial Park, Bourne Road, Crayford, DA1 4BZ.
The workshops start in November with a Christmas special making Christmas decorations by reusing textiles.
You do not have to book for these sessions (other than the Christmas special) but spaces are limited and anyone who has booked will be given a priority.
- Monday 26 January – Stitch it up! – fully booked
- Monday 23 February – Button it up! – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Monday 30 March – Patch it up! – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
Sense are able to accept clothes donations at their trading unit so why not bring a bag of unwanted clothes to the workshop and donate these for Sense to sell in their local shops.
Furniture upcycling workshops
Want to transform a small item of furniture in your home? Learn some simple techniques to help you give your items a new lease of life.
Bring along a small piece of furniture (something you can easily carry) that you were thinking of throwing away or no longer like and learn some simple techniques to improve your items into something you love! These workshops will be led by a tutor from The Learning Centre, Bexley.
- Wednesday 28 January 10am – 1pm at The Learning Centre, Sidcup, Alma Road, Sidcup, DA14 4ED – fully booked
- Monday 9 February – 9.45am – 12.45pm at The Learning Centre Erith, 101 – 103 Erith High Street, Erith DA8 1RG – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Monday 16 March – 9.45 – 12.45 at The Learning Centre Erith, 101 – 103 Erith High Street, Erith DA8 1RG – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
Three years after they were first organised, the Borough’s Love Food Hate Waste Cookery Workshops always see residents go away having learnt something new and being encouraged to try to reduce their food waste. Reducing your food waste can save you up to £60 a month!
- Tuesday 10 February 7pm – 9pm at Beth’s Grammar School, Hartford Road, Bexley DA5 1NE – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Tuesday 3 March 9.30am – 12pm at Howbury Community Centre, Chrome Road, Erith, DA8 2EL – book your free place(Opens in a new window)
- Tuesday 24 March 10.30am – 12.30pm at Christchurch, Broadway, Bexleyheath, DA6 7BT – book your free place